Friday, September 3, 2010
Kindergarten Cop
As I waited to pick the kids up from school today, I witnessed this gem. Max's class exited their building and waited with their teacher (which happened to be a sub.) for their parents. Before Max even looked for me, he had to halt a burglary in progress. He grabbed his teacher's arm for attention and shouted, "Miss Pam, Miss Pam, Damien has some toys from the classroom in his backpack". I decided to stand back and watch this unfold. The teacher called Damien back to the steps and asked him if he had anything in his backpack that wasn't his. The child shook his head no. Miss Pam asked him again and then held her hand out for his backpack. He kind of shook his head sheepishly and looked down, but inside the backpack were the classroom toys. Damien got scolded by Miss Pam (right in front of his parents no less, who didn't seem to have a pulse either) and all was well in the world again. Max then gave his teacher a hug and told her to have a good weekend (yes, my buttons were bursting with pride). We later asked Max why he decided to tell on his friend, and Max replied "I asked him if he was going to bring the toys back so all the other kids could play with them, and Damien said he loved them and he was going to keep them. I told him I was going to have to tell the teacher". Lant gave him the nickname "Kindergarten Cop". By the way, nice work officer!


